A very well know writes and journalist, Ernest Himingway was one of the renowned American novelist of the 20th century. The writer’s life of adventure and his public image influenced later generations.
Ernest Himingway produced most of his work between the mid 1920s and the mid 1950s. He has published seven novels, six short stories, and two non fiction works.
And along with all the books and novels, Ernest Himingway has also given a number of quotes and sayings.
So here we have picked up a few quotes and sayings by Ernest Himingway. Have a look at our collection for the best 50 Inspiring Quotes by Ernest Himingway.
50 Inspiring Quotes by Ernest Himingway
1. The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.
2. Courage is grace under pressure.
3. The best way to find out you can trust somebody is to trust them.
4. There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self.
5. I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen.
6. All things truly wicked start from innocence.
7. There is no friend as loyal as a book.
8. But man is not made for defeat. A man can be destroyed but not defeated.
9. Never mistake motion for action.
10. I know only that what is moral is what you feel good after and what is immoral is what you feel bad after.
11. I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I’m awake, you know?
12. When people talk, listen completely. Most people never listen.
13. There’s no one thing that is true. They’re all true.
14. We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.
15. Never go on trips with anyone you do not love.
16. My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way.
17. Why should anybody be interested in some old man who was a failure?
18. Man is not made for defeat.
19. A man’s got to take a lot of punishment to write a really funny book.
20. In modern war… you will die like a dog for no good reason.
21. All my life I’ve looked at words as though I were seeing them for the first time.
22. The shortest answer is doing the thing.
23. I’m not going to get into the ring with Tolstoy.
24. I know now that there is no one thing that is true – it is all true.
25. Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.
26. Courage is grace under pressure.
27. Never confuse movement with action.
28. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places.
29. The first and final thing you have to do in this world is to last it and not be smashed by it.
30. Never to go on trips with anyone you do not love.
31. The hard part about writing a novel is finishing it
32. All things truly wicked start from innocence.
33. Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
34. There is no friend as loyal as a book.
35. What is moral is what you feel good after, and what is immoral is what you feel bad after.
36. Wine is the most civilized thing in the world
37. The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
38. There is no friend as loyal as a book.
39. There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.
40. Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.
41. The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.
42. The first draft of anything is shit.
43. All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.
44. I drink to make other people more interesting
45. When people talk, listen completely. Most people never listen.
46. Courage is grace under pressure.
47. Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.
48. But man is not made for defeat,” he said. “A man can be destroyed but not defeated.
49. Never confuse movement with action.
50. As a writer, you should not judge, you should understand.